Option 1 – Download Online
The best option of verification of ITR- V is to ask the taxpayer to login income tax e-filing website (incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) and download the ITR-V in front of bankers to check its genuineness. In this process bankers can get the genuine ITR on his own computer.
But most of taxpayers do not remember the password or they do not have password as return is filed by tax professionals and it is not practically possible to follow this procedure for each banker.
Option 2 – Verify the ITR-V Receipt status
When banker wants to check the genuineness of ITR and when online login of taxpayer is not possible then the banker has following option to verify the ITR acknowledgement:-
Click on the given link below:
Give the input of
1. PAN / e-Filing Acknowledgement number
2. Assessment year
3. and image i.e. Captcha Code
When you give the PAN and other Details you will get the ITR-V status in following ways
1. When return is not filed, you will get the status as “No return has been filed for this PAN and assessment year or e-filing acknowledgement number”
2. When return filed and it is digitally signed then you will get the status as -“E-return for this assessment year or acknowledgement number is digitally signed”
3. When return filed and it is NOT digitally signed then there are two possibilities
a. ITR filed online but signed acknowledgment is NOT received by Income Tax Department – CPC, Bangalore – You will get the status as ITR-V not received
b. ITR filed online but signed acknowledgment is received by Income Tax Department – CPC, Bangalore – You will get the status as ITR-V received
It is also advisable to the bankers to verify status of ITR–V on PAN as well as e-filing acknowledgement number basis. As return many be filed but acknowledgement many be fabricated.
Drawbacks of verification by second option
We can verify only PAN and acknowledgement number but not data (like gross total income, taxes paid, etc,). If PAN and acknowledgement number is correct, but other data of the ITR-V is fabricated, then it is not possible to track such fabrication in this verification method.
Observe ITR-V carefully
Banker can also verify the ITR-V on the basis of some observations tools (applicable when return is not digitally signed), as given below:
1.Confirm that last six digits of acknowledgement number is date of filing return, as mentioned on the acknowledgement.
2. Check bar code carefully, the first 10 characters is the PAN, also check bar code also
contain 15 digits acknowledgement number.
3. Banker can also cross verify the contents of ITR-V with tax challans and TDS certificate, Form 26 AS and other financial statements.
If banker verify the ITR-V carefully as explain above then they can easily track the genuineness of ITR .