When assessee get the intimation under section 143 (1) of income tax act 1961 which shows the net amount is refundable. Then assessee will get the refund cheque from income tax department or refund can be transfer to his bank account as per option chosen while filing ITR. If due to any of the following reason assessee cannot get the amount credited to his account then he can apply for re-issue of refund.
1. Refund cheque is sent by the income tax department; but not received to assess due to change in address or any other reason.
2. Refund cheque is received by assessee; but bank account number mentioned on the cheque is incorrect or that bank account is closed by the assessee.
3. When assessee get the cheque; but he forgot to deposit the same in the bank account before its validity. Refund cheque is valid only for 90 days form the date of issue.
4. Amount is not able to transfer to the assessee’s bank account due to incorrect ECS details.
Kindly note when 90 days validity is not over and assessee wants to re-issue of refund cheque; he should cancelled the refund cheque and send back the cheque to the issuer bank. The details of the issuer bank (i.e. SBI) are mentioned on the reverse side of the refund cheque. Issuer bank will cancel the cheque and then assessee can make application for re-issue of refund.
Assess is required to follow the following procedure for re-issue of refund.
1. Logon to income tax website with your user ID and Password. Go to my account and the select Refund Reissue Request
2. The Assessee should mention all the required details are the refund re-issue request; i. e. PAN, assessment year, CPC communication reference number, refund sequence number. CPC Communication reference number and refund sequence is available on the intimation received by assessee on this register email id or his register address.
3. After clicking on validate button assess will get next screen where he has to select the mode of refund issue either ECS (i.e. online transfer) or By Paper (i.e. through cheque). He will get the chance to change the bank account and address
4. After clicking on validate button assess will get next screen where he has to select the mode of refund issue either ECS (i.e. online transfer) or By Paper (i.e.through cheque). He will get the chance to change the bank account and address
5. Finally assess will get the transaction ID of refund re-issue order.
6. Assess can check the status of re-issue of refund request from My Request List